Saturday, August 14, 2010

My beautiful Mother!

Lorraine (my best friend), Kathleen (my mom), and me
This is my beautiful, wonderful, amazing mother. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 bone cancer on August 18, 2008, 1 month and 2 days after my daughter, Katie Sue, died.

She is still here 2 years later. This has been a very interesting, encouraging, upsetting, frustrating, and long journey. This is a picture of my mom, me, and my best friend (my sister from another mother!) We were smiling ear-to-ear because we were at my older brother's wedding, almost 1 year after her diagnosis, some weren't sure she would make it to his wedding. 

Some days are great and she is full of life with lots of energy. And some days, she is curled up in a ball on her bed, exhausted physically, emotionally, and mentally. The best part is, she is still here! I wish we could say the cancer was completely gone, but we can't YET! It really is a journey. She has done all-natural treatments. She never went back to the doctors that diagnosed her. She calls her "Dr. Hopeless." She basically told her, you are beyond any help, and my job is to keep you as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. Well, we didn't accept that death sentence. As soon as she got back from the hospital (my dad had taken her because we thought she was in pain from a kidney stone), I got right on the internet and started researching bone cancer. Eight days later, she was off all pain medication-she had been taking pain meds for the pain in her back. I never doubted she was going to live.

For more than 12 years, my mother has been researching alternative cancer therapies. I knew if anyone was going to get through this-it was her!! I truly thought she would be over this by now. I never expected we would be dealing with this 2 years later. But alas, we are here and now it is time to get her totally back to health. I am going to start blogging everything I do to help her, along with my other day events, challenges, and new recipes for making sugar, dairy, gluten, egg, and soy-free, nutrition packed desserts and foods.

So follow along, but remember two things; first I will write it all the good, the great, the bad, and the upsetting, but that is part of my life and second, there is NO taste vision yet so don't lick your screen when I post pictures of the food!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment