OATMEAL COOKIE BARS
2 cups gluten-free flour mixture
2 cups gluten- free rolled oats
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 sticks salted butter, melted and slightly cooled (16 Tbsp)
12 oz semisweet/milk chocolate chips
35 soft caramel candies
6 Tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift the flour. Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Melt the butter, let it cool, and pour into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until a soft dough forms. It should be crumbly. If your dough is too wet and heavy, add a little more flour until the dough is crumbly.
- Grease* the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish. Press ¾ of the dough into a 9x13 baking dish. Put aside the remaining ¼ for topping. Bake for about 15-17 minutes. (Gluten-Free flours don't brown like wheat flour does.)
- While crust is baking, unwrap caramels and melt in the microwave with the cream. Microwave at 15 second intervals and stir until the mixture is smooth and pourable. (You also can do this step in a double-boiler.)
- Spread the entire 12 oz bag chocolate chips (minus the few you ate :-) over the baked crust. (They will start to melt if you pour them over the hot crust and that is OK.) Pour the melted caramel over the chocolate chips. Crumble the remaining dough with our hands and cover the entire top of the cookie creating a top "crust" (Do not press this crust down).
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes, (Remember it won't turn brown like wheat flour does.) Let it sit and completely cool. It needs to be completely cooled off to be able to cut into bars. Eat! Yummy!
Step 1: Gather all the ingredients
(forgot the salt in this picture)
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Be sure to sift flour first.
Step 3: Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and stir together.
Step 4: Grease the bottom of the pan with "cake release."*
Press mixture into the bottom of the pan to make crust. Bake crust.
Step 5: Cover entire crust with chocolate chips
Step 6: Melt caramels and pour over top of chocolate chips
Step 7: Cover the entire top with crumbled dough as a top crust
(Do not press it down)
Step 8: Let it completely cool before cutting.