Thursday, November 14, 2013

Introduction to my blog!



Welcome to this gluten-free journey!


     When I started on my gluten-free journey 7 years ago, people
had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned gluten. They would look at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Now most people have heard of it, but still don't exactly know what gluten is. People have been mislead into thinking gluten-free is the new fade diet. And yes, for some people it is. As for the rest of us, we eat gluten-free because we have to NOT because we want to. Being on a gluten-free diet can be challenging. Not impossible, but challenging. With all good challenges, comes growth. I missed my gluten-FULL (that is what one of my best friends calls anything with wheat flours in it and you have to insert her Chilean accident!) goodies. I had dreams of being able to walk into a gluten-free bakery and not worry about what I could eat, what was in the food, or if it cross-contaminated. 

     I wanted to make that dream come true. Well with seven children and all the other things going on in my life, opening a dedicated gluten-free bakery just wasn't an option. So we did the next best thing, we made a dedicated kitchen in our basement for making gluten-free baked goods. The birth of Deliciously Gluten-Free, LLC. We supplied our local health food stores and a local coffee shop. 

     Life got too busy and challenging so we had to stop baking for stores. I hope to revisit that idea sometime in the future. Timing is everything in life. 

     
     For now, people know that I am gluten-free and so is my youngest daughter. I post on Facebook and talk to people about it all the time.When someone is finding their path through this gluten-free journey, they often ask me questions about going gluten-free, where to find recipes, what products to buy, etc. I am honored that people turn to me to help them through this journey. 

     So I am excited to start blogging regularly again. I will post recipes, tips, FAQs, and much more. We are going to start composing our recipes for a gluten-free cookbook. We have people ask us all the time for the recipe when we bring our baked goods places. When we tell them that it is gluten-free they are pleasantly shocked. They tell us they would never have known they were eating gluten-free! We LOVE that!! I was always my hope that people didn't know the difference. Sometimes gluten-free foods can taste yucky, and I didn't want people to ever think that gluten-free had to taste bad. 

     I do not bake alone. My husband and two oldest daughters do most of the baking.
I come up with the recipes. Often I take a recipe I like that is "gluten-FULL" and make my substitutions. We are almost always pleased with the results. 

     I am happy to share these recipes with you all. I hope to be of help to those who are newbie gluten-freers or long time gluten-freers. Also most of our recipes can be made with regular flour too. Please enjoy this blog and share it with your friends! Let me know what I can do to help you. Ask questions! I am ALWAYS willing and excited to learn new things, so please share what you learn and know with me!

Sunnie Stonelake
deliciouslyglutenfree@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment