Friday, July 1, 2011

Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free drinks

Linda over at The Gluten Free Homemaker blog has a challenge for the month. It  is to create a gluten free drink. Most drinks are gluten free, but I thought I would add some of our favorite recipes that are gluten, dairy, and sugar free (no artificial sweeteners!)

Cranberry Juice
Ingredients:
1 tsp Unsweetened Cranberry Concentrate (Tree of Life- is what I use)   
5/6 drops Liquid Stevia (SweetLeaf- Stevia Clear- is what I use)
Filtered Water
Ice

I make a glass at a time. I use just enough cranberry concentrate to cover the bottom of the glass about 1 tsp, 5/6 drops of stevia, and then fill the glass up with water. Mix it together and add ice. This is a great drink when you want something sweet, but don't want the sugar. It is great for the kidneys. I get kidney stones and people have recommended cranberry juice, All cranberry juice has added sweeteners, even if its apple juice, that is still high in sugar content. This is a great alternative.
                       
 Green Smoothie
(I have never tried this recipe without a Vita-mix. I highly recommend making the investment in a vita-mix. My mother bought one for use years ago, and we use it all the time. My best friend made this recipe in a regular blender and she did not like it.)
 
Ingredients:
2/3 handfuls organic baby spinach
1 banana, frozen
4-5 strawberries, frozen or fresh
2 c filtered water
1 c ice
Vita-mix
Stevia- optional   
Put spinach in the blender. Add water. Turn the vita- mix up to high and let it blend really well for at least one minute. Slowly add frozen banana and strawberries. Once combined, add ice. This tastes like a banana and strawberry smoothie! My daughter likes to add a few drops of Stevia to her glass, but i don't think it needs it. My 1 year old son, drank my own glass the other day.

 
Lemonade
3/4 c fresh squeeze lemon juice or Real-Lemon Juice (we buy it in bulk at Sam's)
2/3 dropperful Clear Liquid Stevia (not powdered Stevia)
Filtered Water

Combine lemon juice and stevia. Fill the pitcher up with filtered water and stir. Sometimes we like it stronger than others. You may have to adjust this to your sweet/tartness taste buds. It is an easy recipe. It won't mess with your blood sugar and lemon is good for detoxing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment